Monthly Archives:: September 2012
Kimberly and Lowell grew up a county apart in
Eastern NC. Although they gradated high school the same year, they didn’t meet
until a few years ago – in an elevator at work (talk about a chance encounter!)
The couple was wed on July 1, 2012. They chose The Great Room for the wedding
reception because they loved the large new event room, as well as being in
Downtown Chapel Hill. They are also fans of the Top of the Hill catering menu,
and appreciated that there was something for everyone’s taste.
The couple was thrilled with their festive
wedding which was filled with family and friends. They were very pleased that
they chose Sue Rakes Photography to document their day, who Kim describes as “the
best of wedding photography and photojournalism.” Her “unimaginable images”
will be cherished for the rest of their lives!
The bride and groom shared that some of their
favorite moments of their day included Jumping the Broom, an African tradition,
as well as the walk down the aisle. That’s how it should be for everyone!
Dr. Josephine Harris
Reception Venue & Catering: Top of the Hill- The Great Room
Photographer: Sue Rakes Photography
Bridal Gown: Priscilla
Men’s Formalwear: VIP
Ceremony Musicians: Soloist,
Yolanda Rabun (National Recording Artist) and Anita Burroughs-Price, harpist
Reception Music: DJ EZ Hutch
Guest Accommodations: The Carolina Inn
Bridal Jewelry: Bailey’s Fine Jewelry
Earlier this month, Charlotte’s boutique in Cameron Village hosted an Open House! We wanted to show you a few awesome photos by SB&G photographer Renee Sprink to recap the event, and tell you a little bit more about what Charlotte’s offers! A few members of the SB&G family were also present, including Sugarland and Victorian Rose Bridals.
Participants received gift bags from Charlotte’s and had the opportunity to register for some fabulous giveaways from local wedding vendors while perusing the boutique’s collection of invitations, favors, jewelry and adorable apparel.
SB&G was contacted today about an exciting new wedding TV series for USA Network which originated from the UK entitled Don’t Tell the Bride (visit their Facebook page for more info). They are casting the show this month (through skype interviews) and still looking for dynamic couples who are currently engaged, but lack the funds to have a dream wedding. Does that sound like you, or a couple you know??
Each episode focuses on one couple’s big day and what it takes to make the wedding happen. The bride and groom agree to avoid all communication with each other for two weeks before the ceremony. In exchange, the groom is given $20,000 to plan the entire wedding without the bride’s input. Have no fear; each groom ultimately creates a unique wedding to celebrate his true love and a chance to show his bride what he’s made of!
Deadline to apply is October 1st so please don’t hesitate to contact the casting team!
– Must be over 18 years of age
– Currently engaged
– Willing and able to get legally married between October 2012 – November 2012
– Have a few groomsmen and bridesmaids with big personalities willing to be on the show with you
– No long distance or destination weddings. You must be willing to marry within driving distance of couple’s residence(s).
HOW TO APPLY:
Send an email to BRIDE@SHEDMEDIAUS.COM with the following:
-BRIDE name, age, phone number and email
-GROOM name, age, phone number and email
-A brief background on your story/relationship and why you need a 20K dream wedding
-Recent photo of you and your fiance
Life Stage Films is one of the Top 25 Filmmakers in the world, and we are so proud to recommend them to our SB&G readers! If you are looking for an amazing wedding videographer for your NC wedding, LSF will be sure to WOW you!
Watch their 2012 demo reel, and learn about the amazing cause that they are supporting and how YOU can help!
Hey brides-to-be! Remember when I wrote about which wedding traditions were OK to skip? Well, to replace some of those outdated traditions (hello, bridal march?) here are a few new(ish) trends that I hope are here to stay, because I love them!
1. Unplugged Weddings: Yep, I’ve written about this before, too! But I think it’s important enough to mention again. In today’s technology-obsessed culture, asking your guests to take a thirty-minute break from their smartphones is OK (and encouraged!) Trust me, your photographer will appreciate it, and you’ll be happy when you get your wedding pictures and they’re not full of your relatives looking at you through their iPhone screen!
2. Eco-friendly Weddings: Going green is becoming increasingly popular — from organic and local food options to paper flowers and brooch bouquets. Sustainable choices like these are great for our environment, and a special way for couples to show their activism. Looking for other ways to go green? Check out organic fabrics, reusable materials and seed-bag favors!
3. Birdcage Veils: Another thing y’all know I’m a fan of, thanks to one of my blog posts! With the surging popularity of outdoor weddings, cathedral-length veils just aren’t practical. If you’re not a fan of the birdcage veil, you could opt for a fun headband, hat, or nothing at all!
4. Wedding Websites: Wedding websites are a fantastic option for brides, especially those who live far away from family members or expect some relatives not to attend the ceremony. This makes your family and guests who can’t be there on your big day feel informed and connected to your wedding. Not to mention, you can make them for free and showcase your fabulous engagement photos!
5. Non-white Wedding Dresses (and shoes!): The tradition of wearing a stark-white wedding dress has met its match with today’s fashion, and I’m thrilled! From a simple ivory to a bold red and all that’s in between, brides these days have options to suit their skin tone, personal fashion and wedding day theme! Blush and peach tones have become increasingly popular for brides who want to break out of the white dress mold without losing the bridal feel.
6. Mismatched Bridesmaids: If you have more than one or two bridesmaids, chances are your girls have incredibly different body types and fashion sense, so why force them all to wear the same shapeless taffeta dress? These days, brides are letting their girls have options — from choosing their own dress with a few guidelines to selecting a color and designer and allowing them to choose a style that they love!
The Cookery in Durham unveiled its new Front Room event venue in a street party fundraiser event this weekend. The event was a huge success, with over 2,000 people in attendance and raising nearly $4,000 to help the Durham Crisis Response Center remodel the kitchen in their Emergency Shelter.
The event was full of local culinary delights that The Cookery is known for promoting! Guests milled in and out of the new venue, watched live music under a patio tent from American Party Rentals while sipping local beer, and wandered on the street which was shut down specifically for this event and filled with food trucks galore.
The Cookery was opened in 2011 by Nick Hawthorne-Johnson and his wife Rochelle Johnson as a rentable commercial kitchen. Their new Front Room is a perfect site for a wedding
reception, and their amazing kitchen will allow for true restaurant-worthy meals to be served at your event. Just blocks from downtown Durham, The Cookery is an ideal location, and its
industrial-chic look is quintessential Durham.
Stay in touch with The Cookery (Twitter), because they have some other interesting events on the horizon, including serving as the first Pop-Up Restaurant Location in North Carolina!
Below, SB&G’s Jenna Olender had a great time at the opening event this Saturday- seen in lower left corner with Cookery Owner Nick Hawthorne-Johnson. She also ran into some of her wedding pro friends, including Riley Maclean of Riley Maclean Photography, and Megan, Jason and Baby Emma Gillikin of A Southern Soiree (upper right corner).
SB&G is excited to announce the winners of our August giveaways (better late than never, right?) and tell y’all what we’re giving away this month!
First, we’d like to extend a HUGE congrats to our two couples who won our August prizes — Jessica Davis & Colby Strickland and Holly Travis & Finith Jernigan! Jessica and Colby won a $75 gift card to Il Palio at The Siena in Chapel Hill. The couple plans to marry October 20th. Holly and Finith won a $100 gift card to Second Empire in downtown Raleigh. This adorable couple (pictured below) plans to tie the knot next June!
And now, we’re stoked to announce our September giveaways! Register with SB&G by Oct. 1st to win these awesome prizes!
-$50 to 18 Seaboard — a contemporary grill in downtown Raleigh with food that’s to-die-for.
-$100 to Primp Salonbar. Their motto “Cut. Color. Cocktails. It’s a way of life.” perfectly sums up this awesome spa! What a great place to relax and take a break from the stress of wedding planning!
-A two night weekend stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh-Cary. Enjoy a getaway for two at this elegant Triangle hotel.
-And our grand prize, a $250 gift card to Bella Bridesmaid! This credit can be used for an individual, or can be dispersed among your bridesmaids if they are each buying their own dress. So, if you have five bridesmaids, each girl could potentially save up to $50!
We’re changing things up a little for this grand prize — in order to win the $250 off at Bella Bridesmaid, you must LIKE Southern Bride & Groom’s Facebook page by October 1 and post on our wall that you want a Bella Bridesmaid dress! We will draw a winner from those who have liked our page AND posted on our wall, and announce the winner on Facebook on Monday, October 1st.
Margo and Patrick were married by Patrick’s grandfather at Margo’s childhood home in Louisburg on June 2nd.
Their beautiful wedding has us at SB&G so inspired that we just had to share! Erin McLean of Erin McLean Events coordinated the couple’s big day, which was perfectly captured by Cyn Kain Photography (skip ahead for some GORGEOUS photographs!) and other members of the SB&G family helped make the wedding super special: Rocky Top Catering, The English Garden (check out the bride’s bouquet — it’s to-die-for pretty!), Sweet Memories Bakery, MakeUpForYourDay , Classic Party Rentals and Cute Buttons.
SB&G is also excited to announce that one of our September prizes will be $250 off a bridesmaid package at Bella Bridesmaid! This credit can be used for an individual, or can be dispersed among your bridesmaids if they are each buying their own dress. So, if you have five bridesmaids, each girl could potentially save up to $50!
We’re changing things up a little with our giveaways this month — in order to win the $250 off at Bella Bridesmaid, you must LIKE Southern Bride & Groom’s Facebook page by October 1 and post on our wall that you want a Bella Bridesmaid dress! We will draw a winner from those who have liked our page AND posted on our wall, and announce the winner on Facebook on Monday, October 1st.
To register for our other September prizes (which will be announced soon!), register with SB&G now!
The Happy Brides Panel of Brides Focus Group will be held on Thursday, November 8th from 5:30-8pm at the Cardinal Club in Raleigh…and they’re opening the doors to you — brides-to-be — and your fiancé!
The goal is to gather a diverse group of brides representing the wedding market in the Triangle area who are comfortable chatting about the wedding planning process.
If you’re interested in being part of this awesome Q&A event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by October 5th, and don’t hesitate — spots go quickly!